Friday, May 8, 2009

Strange world

A recent experience showing again that we are living in a crazy world (that I already knew for a long time). I learned a lesson about pricing and about the nonsense world economy and traveling products. The story is as follows: some products (I don't want to mention details, this is not really relevant) available on Amazon are cheaper if they are ordered from amazon.com than from amazon.fr for instance. As a European, I order some stuff from the .com site, and goods are supposed to be delivered from the US to Europe. Now the path being followed: the products in question are produced/printed in the US, distributed by a company in California. According to the package I received, it seems that the goods have been shipped from Auckland, New Zealand. Delivery was in Belgium, Europe, with a very reasonable delay and perfect packaging. 5 stars service. But what about the number of miles traveled, everything for a lower charge than similar products delivered from the European warehouse...

This kind of story is not new, of course, and BTW I am a happy customer, but as said in the beginning, we live in a crazy world.

And just for the fun, I just saw that the apple I was eating while typing this is coming from New Zealand too. We produce apples locally, not in this season, but again...

No comments: